When I was a kid, I was an avid Neopets player. It took me forever to name all of my Neopets. Their name had to be just right – creative, no numbers or underscores, etc. I probably spent 3 hours just creating one. Then, when I got a real pet (my dog) it took about a month to settle on the name Sadie.
Somehow, I was able to name my blog in about 30 minutes.
Here are my tips for coming up with a name you will love!
- Start a brainstorming word list with words/topics you will write about (ex: travel)
- Look up and write down all synonyms/similar descriptors for those words (ex: adventure)
- Think of words that are related to your topic but not necessarily a category (ex: latitude aka like latitude & longitude…saying where in the world are you?)
- Write down other words that you like. Literally anything that comes to mind. You never know what will inspire you to create that name! (ex: i’m hungry…brunch, coffee)
Okay now we can play around with these words in different formats. Some common formats for blog names are:
- a short phrase
- The (adjective) (noun)
- (adjective/question) (your name)
- (word) and (word)
Now, refer to your list of brainstormed words and see if any of them sound good in those formats! Create as many as you can think of.
Seriously, just write them all down.
I remember saying to myself “Latitude & Llamas.” Then laughing out loud.
Okay, so you have a list of potential names. How do you choose the best one?
- Is it easy to say? Alliterations are great here! Rolls off the tongue!
- Is it memorable? Those words you wrote down of the things you like are what will make the title stand out from “Travel and Food Blog”. (When I first showed my boyfriend my idea list, he said Latitude & Lattes? I don’t get it. But he remembered that title and he didn’t have to fully understand the title…because he could read my blog to find out more about it 😉 )
- Can it encompass the feel/topics of your blog as a whole? (this one is hard. Especially if you have many topics you are writing about. For me… Latitude – creative word about traveling. Bam, creativity and travel- 2 topics. Lattes – I like lattes and I am going to write about food and other stuff I like. Bam. Ok. Let’s do it.)
- Is it unique & AVAILABLE? Check social media handles too! (Also tough with the number of blogs out there. I remember I chose a name, LOVED it and felt like it described me as a person and the things I wanted to write about. aaaaaaaand it was already in existence. UGH! It’s ok, move on. Your blog name will become a part of you and you won’t even think of your attachment to that other name.)
Lastly, now that you have come up with a unique and awesome name for you blog – it’s time to create it! Woohoo! I started out as a free wordpress.com blog and quickly realized I wanted to have more control and ability to customize, so I took the plunge and self-hosted with Blue Host and wordpress.org. Best. Decision. Ever.
Use my affiliate link to sign up for BlueHost HERE and start your blog today! This will take you to the $3.95/month WordPress offer page.
Here is how to get an even better offer: Fill out your domain name, scroll down the bottom and select the 3 month plan. Next, un-check all of the boxes for the add-ons and wait about a minute. A 60% off pop-up should show up offering you an even lower price!
This is the option I went with, with the 3-year plan to lock in my prices. Your first year of a Domain Name is free! This pop-up campaign will get you even more free add-ons like SiteLock and Backups.
Creating a blog is so exciting – it’s a blank canvas for you to build whatever you envision! My best blogging advice is to JUST START. You can agonize for hours over whether your blog is ready to be launched, but honestly you will end up changing so much after you launch it anyways. Blogging is definitely a learn-as-you-go process.
How long did it take you to create a name for your blog?